Arlon’s 85HP is the best in class 250⁰C high glass transition temperature polyimide resin system available on the market today. This unique blend of polyimide resin and micro-fine proprietary fillers results in superior performance for the most demanding thermal and high layer applications. Compared to conventional polyimide systems, 85HP has a lower Z-axis expansion and twice the thermal conductivity of conventional polyimide resin systems. 85HP has proven to reduce cracking and wicking in high layer, high density, thick copper designs that challenge conventional resin systems. Applications for 85HP include mission critical PWB’s for military, aerospace, space, down hole oil and gas drilling and many other high reliability applications. Meets requirements of IPC-4101/40 and IPC-4101/41.
Vacuum desiccate the prepreg for 8 - 12 hours prior to lamination.
Process inner-layers through develop, etch, and strip using standard industry practices.
Use brown oxide or alternatives on inner layers.
Adjust dwell time in the oxide bath to ensure uniform coating.
Bake inner layers in a rack for 60 minutes at 107°C - 121°C (225°F - 250°F) immediately prior to lay-up.
- Pre-vacuum for 30 - 45 minutes
- Control the heat rise to 4.5°C - 6.5°C (8°F - 12°F) per minute between 100°C and 150°C (210°F and 300°F). Vacuum lamination is preferred. Start point vacuum lamination pressures are shown in the table below.
- Set cure temperature at 218˚C (425˚F).
- Cure time at temperature = 2.0 hours
- Cool down under pressure at ≤ 5°C/min (10°F/min)
- Drill at 350-400 SFM. Undercut bits are recommended for vias 0.0 18” (0.45mm) and
- De-smear using alkaline permanganate or plasma with settings appropriate for
polyimide; plasma is preferred for positive etchback
- Conventional plating processes are compatible with 85HP
- Standard profiling parameters may be used
- Bake for 1 - 2 hours at 250°F (121°C) prior to solder to reflow of HASL
Arlon EMD is the first U.S. laminator recognized under IPC’s Quality Product Listing. We are the only laminator to have achieved certification for all three slash sheets on polyimide materials, IPC-4101/40, IPC-4101/41 and IPC-4101/42.
Need more information...