Arlon’s 84HP is a high-performance ceramic-filled 250⁰C high glass transition temperature polyimide prepreg based on Arlon’s 85N pure polyimide system, designed for use in filling etched areas in polyimide multilayers that contain thick copper layers and for filling clearance areas in metal cores. The ceramic filler in the resin serves to reduce shrinkage and inhibit crack formulation during through-hole drilling in filled clearance areas. Arlon’s 84HP is manufactured on 50″ wide 106 E-glass and the grain direction matches 85HP grain direction which is also manufactured on 50″ wide E-glass. 84HP conforms to the requirements of IPC-4101/40, /41 and is validated to IPC-4101/43.
Vacuum desiccate the prepreg for 8 - 12 hours prior to lamination.
Process inner-layers through develop, etch, and strip using standard industry practices.
Use brown oxide or alternatives on inner layers.
Adjust dwell time in the oxide bath to ensure uniform coating.
Bake inner layers in a rack for 60 minutes at 107°C - 121°C (225°F - 250°F) immediately prior to lay-up.
- Pre-vacuum for 30 - 45 minutes
- Control the heat rise to 4.5°C - 6.5°C (8°F - 12°F) per minute between 100°C and 150°C (210°F and 300°F). Vacuum lamination is preferred. Start point vacuum lamination pressures are shown in the table below.
- Set cure temperature at 218˚C (425˚F).
- Cure time at temperature = 2.0 hours
- Cool down under pressure at ≤ 5°C/min (10°F/min)
- Drill at 350-400 SFM. Undercut bits are recommended for vias 0.0 18” (0.45mm) and
- De-smear using alkaline permanganate or plasma with settings appropriate for
polyimide; plasma is preferred for positive etchback
- Conventional plating processes are compatible with 85HP
- Standard profiling parameters may be used
- Bake for 1 - 2 hours at 250°F (121°C) prior to solder to reflow of HASL
Arlon EMD is the first U.S. laminator recognized under IPC’s Quality Product Listing. We are the only laminator to have achieved certification for all three slash sheets on polyimide materials, IPC-4101/40, IPC-4101/41 and IPC-4101/42.